Emerging Leadership Scholarship Application
CAPLAW 2023 National Training Conference
About the conference scholarships
CAPLAW is pleased to offer the Robert M. Coard and Winston Ross Emerging Leaders Scholarships for the 2023 National Training Conference. The scholarships were created by the CAPLAW Board of Directors in memory of two Community Action pioneers whose advocacy for low-income individuals spanned decades, and whose leadership on the CAPLAW board guided the organization from its early days. Robert Coard served as CAPLAW’s founding president from 1989 until 2009; Winston Ross served as the organization’s president from 2009 until 2015.
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
An individual must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Be a CAA staff member (other than the executive director) who has served in Community Action for 3 or more years or be a current CAA board member
- Nominated by the executive director of their organization
- Attending the CAPLAW National Training Conference for the first time
- Be from a CAA that is a CAPLAW member (no more than one nominee per CAA)
- Not be from a CAPLAW board member’s CAA
- Possess professional responsibilities in compliance, governance, human resources or finance, or other areas requiring legal or financial knowledge
- Be an emerging leader in Community Action
What do the scholarships cover?
Each scholarship covers the 2023 conference registration fee and a reimbursement to the scholarship recipient’s CAA for up to $1,000 in actual, documented travel expenses associated with the scholarship recipient’s conference attendance (airfare, hotel, ground transportation, per diem).
How do I apply?
To apply for an Emerging Leaders Scholarship, please complete the Emerging Leaders Scholarship Form below and submit the additional required materials by April 28, 2023. Remember that a scholarship applicant must be nominated by his or her organization. Please contact Valerie Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Required application materials include:
- Completed 2023 Scholarship Form (below)
- Copy of applicant’s current resume
- Nominator recommendation letter: Please provide a brief recommendation letter describing how the nominee has demonstrated leadership within Community Action. How will they benefit from attending the 2023 CAPLAW National Training conference? How will your organization benefit from what the nominee will learn at the conference?